Bed bug bites are similar to mosquito bites, that is why many people don't know that it is a bed bug they have been bitten by. Just like mosquitoes the bed bug leaves red itchy bites that in some cases also hurt. If you get bit by bed bugs on your trip your travel insurance often covers your medical bills, although medical treatment is seldom necessary. Check with your insurance company. To avoid to get bed bugs with you home you can do the following:
On the hotel room
* Place your suitcase high up and far away from bed and couch.
* Do not unpack your clothes, leave them in the suitcase
* Examine the bed or couch carefully. If you can find little black spots that looks like an ink streak, it can be the manure of the bugs. Contact the reception and ask if you can get another room.
When arriving home
* Unpack and wash all your clothes in as high temperature as possible. If you cant wash it at once, put the clothes in a garbage bag until you can wash them.
* Check your bag carefully and vacuum it. Put the dust bag from the vacuum cleaner in the freezer for a few days then throw it out.
* If you find blood stains on the sheets at home or any other sign of bed bugs - contact a pest control company.